Thursday, December 23, 2010

Merry Christmas Ginger!!!

For the first time in my almost forty years, I was wooed out of my house to shop on Black Friday.  I worked retail in college, and I had worked a few Black Fridays, so I never shop on them.  I avoid Black Friday like the Black Plague.

However, this year I was drawn out by a really good sale on something that I had wanted for a long time.  A local store had a deluxe dog bed on sale for half-off.  And I love my dog.  And she needs a deluxe dog bed.  As a matter of fact, she needed two of them (one for upstairs and one for downstairs).   And the bed really was deluxe.

My husband and my sister actually fought over which one of them would get to test it out.  I have to clarify here, Ginger (my dog, who is black and gray, but came to us from the shelter already named Ginger) is a bit picky.  I think that it is much because of her need for deluxe items.  I’ve created a monster.

Anyway, back to the point.  She’s picky.  And that means that she won’t sleep anywhere that doesn’t smell like a loved one.  We tried for months when she first came to us to get her to sleep in a dog bed that I got her.  She only weighed twenty-five pounds back then, so the bed was a bit small for a human.  My husband, out of deep love (for Ginger, the money he spent, and myself) climbed in that little bed and sat there for about ten minutes.  After that, she slept in that (considerably less deluxe) little bed until she outgrew it.

We’ve been through several beds in the eight years since that happened.  Something about that girl, she can wear out a bed.  So, when her most recent bed wore out, I decided that she was getting old enough to require a deluxe bed.  Top of the line.  Nothing is too good for my girl.

I braved Black Friday alone (quite the feat for an agoraphobe).  I got to the store and they were out of the large deluxe dog bed.  I know, right? 

And, usually, with it being a Black Friday sale, that would mean that I was out of luck (and so was Ginger).  But this store was lovely.  They agreed to a nice discount off any dog bed in the store.  40% off.  Which means that Ginger, who simply will not fit in a medium dog bed, got an extra large deluxe dog bed.  Well, she got two extra large deluxe dog beds.

And here’s the best part.  The extra large dog bed is less popular than the large (most people prefer the large), so it was LESS expensive than the large.  So, I got the extra large bed for the same price that I would have gotten the large.  That’s right - extra large minus 40% equals large minus 50%.  Holy cow, what a deal.

So, back to the argument.  My sister and Dobby both wanted to be the first to lay on that bed.  And, yes, the extra large bed was big enough for a human to lay on (in the fetal position).  So, it came to me to settle the argument.  I did.

I simply said, “You DO realize that I got TWO beds, right?”

Don’t own a Kindle, but would like to?  The latest generation of Kindle is available at the following links:  with WiFi only   or with WiFi and 3G.

Christy Parker is the author of three blogs:  Ruminations from and Unkempt Mind,  Learn to Crochet - In Minutes a Day,  and You Be the Editor.

For comments, questions, notes or suggestions; Mrs. Parker can be reached in the blog specific forums on the product information pages listed above or via email at unkemptruminations@comcast.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment