Thursday, January 22, 2015

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I realize that the trend is always towards a series of books. And this is a trend that I fully support. This book is part of a larger series, which was obviously intended at the time of its writing. I have no issue with any of that.

This book is a complete story, that is strong enough to stand all on its own. It is clever and well-written. I find the dialogue, both in the present and in the past, both in America and in Britain, to ring true. I find this to be quite a feat. It is often difficult for an adult writer to accomplish believable teen dialogue. The fact that this writer was able to do so over two centuries and two continents is really impressive.

The only issue that I have with the novel (and it is what keeps it at 4-stars instead of 5) is that it feels, throughout to be expository. Throughout the reading, I kept thinking, well, now, if the story doesn't start soon, we'll have no book in this book.

And, yet, the book IS there. The story DOES progress. It does have rising action, it does have a climax, it does have brief falling action, and even more brief denouement. All of the elements are there, and in the proper order. All are well-written and entertaining.

Yet, for some reason, I continued to feel that this book was the mere exposition for a much longer book. I recognize that the first book in any series is heavy on expository data for the rest of the series, but this one just felt, although it is fully a stand-alone novel, like it was not part of a series, but part of a larger book.

I can't explain this feeling. And I can't describe in any way how the author could have avoided this issue or altered the book to correct the issue. It's just a feeling I had during reading, and it is a feeling that I can't pin down.

Also, I felt that the photographs were formatted well for Kindle.  I was able to view them easily on my Kindle Paperwhite.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment