Monday, January 10, 2011

Christy's Crockpot Chili

As a housewife (no, it's not a dirty word, I rather like it), I end up involved in a bunch of potluck dinners, barbeques, and dinner parties.  Sometimes they involve requested dishes (my amaretto cheesecake, my rice flour brownies, and my yorkshire pudding are often requested).  My most frequently requested dish, however, is my chili.  I make it with ground (and sometimes cubed) venison when it's in season.  When venison is not available, I substitute ground beef.

Ingredients:

1 12 oz can of tomato paste
1 10 3/4 oz can of tomato soup
1 40.5 oz can of dark red kidney beans
1 1/2 pounds of ground venison (may substitute with ground beef if preferred)
2 1/4 cups of diced onion
2 1/4 cups of diced green bell pepper
2 tablespoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon of table salt
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 cup of water

In a large skillet, brown meat over medium heat until thoroughly browned.

Combine all ingredients (including browned meat) in large crock pot.

Cook in crock pot on high for 2 hours.  Then reduce heat to low until ready to serve (minimum - one hour, maximum - overnight).

Depending on your palette, you may wish to increase or decrease the amount of chili powder to taste.  I find that the above recipe creates a chili that is moderately spicy and appropriate for most occasions.


Don’t own a Kindle, but would like to?  The latest generation of Kindle is available at the following links:  with WiFi only   or with WiFi and 3G.

Christy Parker is the author of two blogs:  Ruminations from and Unkempt Mind and  Learn to Crochet - In Minutes a Day.

For comments, questions, notes or suggestions; Mrs. Parker can be reached in the blog specific forums on the product information pages listed above or via email at unkemptruminations@comcast.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment