Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Really Cool Thing

I am having a pretty good day today.  It's good enough to draw me away from the post that you were going to get today (on "The Weird Week That Was") and decide to post this for you.

I received an email today from Christina Harris, the Public Relations Manager of Special Olympics Wisconsin.  She had, evidently, checked out my other blog Learn to Crochet in Minutes a Day and wanted to thank me, and YOU, for our efforts with Scarves for Special Olympics.  The other blog mentions SFSO regularly, as well as the participation of the subscribers of BOTH blogs.

Specifically, the "Thank You" to me was for providing readers with information and regular updates on SFSO.  The "Thank You" to you was for your participation.  On that note, I thank you as well.  I really can't thank you enough.

In addition to the "Thank You", I received permission to publish an article that Special Olympics Wisconsin had on their website about another crocheter who is participating in SFSO this year.  I think that it's encouraging.  And endearing.  And well worth my time in publishing the article.  I hope that you consider it worth your time to read it.



The following article and photo are published courtesy of Special Olympics Wisconsin:



102-Year-Old Treasure Shared with Special Olympics Athletes




Gertrude sits with the five scarves she made in her room at the Highland House

02.08.2011– Athletes, coaches, and volunteers huddled together around a crackling fire at Nine Mile State Forest ski chalet to heat up between competitions, but all it took to warm the heart of Alex Guild--a 20-year-old athlete from De Pere, Wisconsin-- was hearing the priceless story of the 102-year-old woman who crocheted the sapphire blue scarf that lay nestled around his neck. 

“She’s a treasure,” said Mikki Dempsey, a Resident Assistant at the Waterloo Highland House Assisted Living Center, who spends much of her day with Gertrude Medenwaldt. 

Medenwaldt spent more than a month carefully crocheting five scarves for athletes like Guild who competed in snowshoe, downhill, and cross country ski races at the 2011 Special Olympics Wisconsin Winter Games on January 29th and 30th in Wausau. 

With each stitch of wool she hooked together, Medenwaldt unraveled a lifetime of memories. 

“When I was a little girl, after I finished herding the cows, I sat down by a haystack and learned to crochet,” said Medenwaldt, who spent her childhood stacking hay in Hankinson, North Dakota and her adulthood raising nine children.

Twenty grandchildren and forty great-grandchildren later, Medenwaldt has perfected her craft, making handmade baby blankets, hats, and scarves for her friends and family.

“I witnessed Gertrude [crocheting] a beautiful baby afghan in about three days, which is why I asked her to help out with the [Scarf Project],” said Karen Bigelow, a Registered Nurse and Special Olympics volunteer. “That was two weeks ago. She just kept going!” 

Medenwaldt joined thousands of knitters in 33 states who participated in the Special Olympics USA Scarf Project. In Wisconsin, hundreds of supporters knit nearly 1,000 scarves for Wisconsin’s State Winter Games and forever interweaved their lives with the athletes. 

“I thought about the athletes while I crochet. I hope they can make use of them,” she said modestly. 

“They’re amazing!” said Guild, admiring his new accessory. “She did a fantastic job. They are nice and warm.”

Medenwaldt may have shared her passion for crocheting, but when it comes to giving away her recipe for a long and healthy life, she’s keeping her lips sewed shut.

“I wish I knew what the secret was…I would write a book,” she said with a bashful smile.

Born in 1908, Medenwaldt could certainly fill a novel with her life experiences. This chapter is just one of many where she has interlaced her life with others and shared the timeless source of happiness – philanthropy. 


                                                             -  Published courtesy of Special Olympics Wisconsin


Again, I would like to thank Special Olympics Wisconsin for their permission to publish this article.  I would also like to thank them for reading this blog.

I would also like to thank Gertrude Medenwaldt for getting involved with SFSO.  I think that her story is as interesting as it is inspirational.

But, most importantly, I would like to thank you, the readers, first for getting involved in SFSO and second for reading this blog.  And, for both, I am truly grateful.  Thank you so much.


Don’t own a Kindle, but would like to?  The latest generation of Kindle is available at the following links:  with WiFi only   or with WiFi and 3G.

Christy Parker is the author of two blogs:  Ruminations from and Unkempt Mind and  Learn to Crochet - In Minutes a Day.

Mrs. Parker is also the author of an eBook of patterns entitled Seven Special Scarves, as well as the eBook Learn to Crochet in Minutes a Day:  The First Twelve Lessons

For comments, questions, notes, or suggestions; Mrs. Parker can be reached in the blog specific forums on the product information pages listed above or via email at unkemptruminations@comcast.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment