Sunday, February 8, 2015

Review: Gone Girl


Gone Girl
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



It is difficult to review this book without giving away any spoilers. I found the book both well-written and entertaining. I found the main characters (Nick and Amy) to be both unlikable and easy to bond with at the same time. This fact is somewhat disconcerting.

Both characters are extremely flawed, and it is difficult to decide for whom to root. Both had intellect and stamina worth admiring. Neither had moral fortitude worthy of admiration. The author did an excellent job writing in each character's voice. It was evident from the reading who was speaking (and not just from the chapter titles), each character had a unique and specific voice.

Their relationship was complex and intriguing. At times I sided with one, other times I sided with the other. In the end, I shrugged my shoulders and sided with Boney.

The author dealt with some fairly intense relationship issues in a way to make the book engrossing and thrilling. I am one who can put a book down and walk away for a month, then come back and pick up where I left off. That was not the case with this book. I had great difficulty putting this book down at all, much less for any length of time.

In reading the reviews, I see that many people HATED the ending. Without adding spoilers, I believe that this was no mistake on the part of the author, but was actually intentional. The characters are so fully irredeemable that no other end would have suited them appropriately.

The book is well worth reading, although I would not use this book as relationship advice.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment