Friday, February 13, 2015

Review: The Metabolism Miracle


The Metabolism Miracle
The Metabolism Miracle by Diane Kress

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I've never really been a fan of Low Carb diets, but when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes (DM), my doctor suggested that I look into a Low Carb diet for weight loss. Atkins and South Beach have never really set well with me (I think that the carb level is far too restricted, and that they don't have a solid plan in place for returning carbs to the diet when the weight is lost).

Then my mother suggested the Metabolism Miracle. It is the only thing that really works for me (I've tried DASH, which I highly recommend, but with my DM combined with some food allergies, I found it difficult to meet the requirements of DASH while still maintaining my Blood Sugar.

Kress has come up with a Carb-controlled Lifestyle Plan. I don't call it a Low Carb diet, because Kress has made a complete plan, not only for Weight Loss, but for Weight Management after weight loss goals are achieved.

It is important to note that this diet APPEARS to only allow you 5 net carbs every 5 hours. This is a common complaint that I hear about the Metabolism Miracle plan. However, if you read the book closely, you realize that that isn't factual. The diet allows you 5 bonus carbs every 5 hours. You still get carbs out of the "Free" foods that you get to eat. Vegetables have carbs. Anything that has fiber has carbs. This diet allows you a sizable list of foods that you can eat WITHOUT counting their carbs (meats, veggies, nuts, dairy, etc), but requires that with all other foods, you limit them to 5 net carbs per five hour block. So, you get more than 5 carbs, you just only get 5 carbs from foods that require counting.

Their are only two negative points about the book, as far as I am concerned, neither of which is significant enough for me to subtract a star from my rating.

The first draw back is that the book is LOADED with anecdotes. Anecdotes about Kress's clients. Anecdotes designed to clarify points and rationales about the diet. I think that they are a bit excessive. I didn't really need THAT many success (and failure) stories to drive home the points of the plan. I don't deduct a star for this because I realize that many people PREFER to read many stories to provide anecdotal evidence for proof of concept. I'm not one of those people, but I do think that many people prefer it.

The second (and final) drawback to the book is the title. "The Metabolism Miracle" makes this sound like another crash diet or fad diet. It is not, it is a complete lifestyle, designed to promote healthy living, long term, in the real world. Unfortunately, the title may turn some people away, as it sounds very "fad."





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment